Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventure Time!

Growing up in Orange County is a surreal experience, especially where I live.  Smack in Little Saigon, I am surrounded by Vietnamese people everyday.  Travel a bit and I can easily hit enclaves dominated by pretty much any other ethnicity or culture.  However, since most of my young life I couldn't drive, I never really got a chance to 'explore' OC.

By the time I was old enough to actually go anywhere or do anything fun, I had already been enamored with the incredible opportunities that the LA scene provided.
Los Angeles is an incredible city full of imagination, wonder and most importantly weirdness. I love random things, and it was always LA's ability to constantly surprise me with yet another hole-in-the-wall gem or big name concert that has kept me coming back despite the hour long commute.

However, a couple years ago I decided I would give my hometown a chance and started to explore OC a bit, learning to surf and visiting some local attractions.  There is a surprising amount to do during the day, but the nightlife seemed to be lacking tremendously.  I refuse to believe that a relatively diverse and large population such as that in the OC can be so dull.  

Therefore I will commence Operation Adventure Time!  I will try to find random spots to visit on Tuesdays or Wednesday nights (because the true mark of adventure is finding it on nights when one wouldn't expect it).  Last week marked the first night, where on a Wednesday, a friend and I hit up Chapter One in the Santa Ana Artist District (Amazing assortment of alcohol here) and then over to the Continental Room (Beatles cover band was a very pleasant surprise) in DTF.

Life is either a great adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller

I used to be quite the romantic, but lately I've been yearning far more for adventure.  Little did I know they are one and the same.

The word 'romance,' according to the dictionary, means excitement, adventure, and something extremely real. Romance should last a lifetime.
Billy Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment